Monday, February 28, 2011

10 Benefits of Rising Early, and How to Do It

Good day all, 
Because i am currently jobless and have almost no commitments(don't worry things are changing), in the last month, i have been going to bed very late and waking up very late(like sometimes in the afternoons). This is not a good habit what so ever and leads to an unproductive day. Anywho my goal for the month of March is to start a new habit of waking up early and going to sleep early. I saw this article from zenhabit.net that i think will be helpful to me and anyone else who needs motivation and a push. P.S. I changed a couple of things.
      
  1. Greet the day. I love being able to get up, and greet a wonderful new day. I suggest creating a morning ritual that includes saying thanks for your blessings. (morning devotions).
  2. Amazing start. No jumping out of bed, late as usual, and rushing to get myself together fast.  There is no better way to start off your day than to wake early, in my experience.
  3. Quietude The early morning hours are so peaceful, so quiet. It’s my favorite time of day. I truly enjoy that time of peace, that time to myself, when I can think, when I can read, when I can breathe.
  4. Sunrise. People who wake late miss one of the greatest feats of nature, repeated in full stereovision each and every day — the rise of the sun.
  5. Breakfast. Rise early and you actually have time for breakfast. I’m told it’s one of the most important meals of the day. Without breakfast, your body is running on fumes until you are so hungry at lunchtime that you eat whatever unhealthy thing you can find. The fattier and sugarier, the betterier. But eat breakfast, and you are sated until later. Plus, eating breakfast while reading my book and drinking my coffee in the quiet of the morning is eminently more enjoyable than scarfing something down on the way to work, or at your desk.
  6. Exercise. There are other times to exercise besides the early morning, of course, but I’ve found that while exercising right after work is also very enjoyable, it’s also liable to be canceled because of other things that come up. Morning exercise is virtually never canceled.
  7. Productivity. Mornings, for me at least, are the most productive time of day. I like to do some writing in the morning, when there are no distractions, before I check my email or blog stats. I get so much more done by starting on my work in the morning. Then, when evening rolls around, I have no work that I need to do, and I can spend it with family.
  8. Goal time. Got goals? Well, you should. And there’s no better time to review them and plan for them and do your goal tasks than first thing. You should have one goal that you want to accomplish this week. And every morning, you should decide what one thing you can do today to move yourself further towards that goal. And then, if possible, do that first thing in the morning.
  9. Commute. No one likes rush-hour traffic, except for Big Oil. Commute early, and the traffic is much lighter, and you get to work faster, and thus save yourself more time. Or better yet, commute by bike. (Or even better yet, work from home.)
  10. Appointments. It’s much easier to make those early appointments on time if you get up early. Showing up late for those appointments is a bad signal to the person you’re meeting. Showing up early will impress them. Plus, you get time to prepare.
How to Become an Early Riser
  • Don’t make drastic changes. Start slowly, by waking just 15-30 minutes earlier than usual. Get used to this for a few days. Then cut back another 15 minutes. Do this gradually until you get to your goal time.
  • Allow yourself to sleep earlier. You might be used to staying up late, perhaps watching TV or surfing the Internet. But if you continue this habit, while trying to get up earlier, sooner or later one is going to give. And if it is the early rising that gives, then you will crash and sleep late and have to start over. I suggest going to bed earlier, even if you don’t think you’ll sleep, and read while in bed. If you’re really tired, you just might fall asleep much sooner than you think.
  • Put your alarm clock far from you bed. If it’s right next to your bed, you’ll shut it off or hit snooze. Never hit snooze. If it’s far from your bed, you have to get up out of bed to shut it off. By then, you’re up. Now you just have to stay up.
  • Go out of the bedroom as soon as you shut off the alarm. Don’t allow yourself to rationalize going back to bed. Just force yourself to go out of the room. My habit is to stumble into the bathroom and go pee. By the time I’ve done that, and flushed the toilet and washed my hands and looked at my ugly mug in the mirror, I’m awake enough to face the day.
  • Do not rationalize. If you allow your brain to talk you out of getting up early, you’ll never do it. Don’t make getting back in bed an option.
  • Have a good reason. Set something to do early in the morning that’s important. This reason will motivate you to get up. I like to write in the morning, so that’s my reason. Also, when I’m done with that, I like to read all of your comments!
  • Make waking up early a reward. Yes, it might seem at first that you’re forcing yourself to do something hard, but if you make it pleasurable, soon you will look forward to waking up early. A good reward is to make a hot cup of coffee or tea and read a book. Other rewards might be a tasty treat for breakfast (smoothies! yum!) or watching the sunrise, or meditating. Find something that’s pleasurable for you, and allow yourself to do it as part of your morning routine.
  • Take advantage of all that extra time. Don’t wake up an hour or two early just to read your blogs, unless that’s a major goal of yours. Don’t wake up early and waste that extra time. Get a jump start on your day! I like to use that time to get a head start on preparing my kids’ lunches, on planning for the rest of the day (when I set my MITs), on exercising or meditating, and on reading. By the time 6:30 rolls around, I’ve done more than many people do the entire day.


Have a blessed day. Chizzy D

9 comments:

Fran said...

I love the tip about putting the alarm clock away from the bed. heaven knows I always hit snooze and never get up immediately the alarm goes off!

BB said...

great advice as 'early to bed early to rise makes a man healthy wealthy and wise...' Maybe now would be a good time to explore coming over here

Chizzy D said...

@fran...ya i know what you mean..thx

@kimvan...yep! true, actually that could possibly happen, i will share more with you later.

N.I.L (Naijamum in London) said...

Agree that late nights are not good.
I get most of my work done in the morning.
Monday to Friday is bed at 9pm/10pm max and up at 4am/5am
However, I go crazy at weekends - late movies, wine, popcorn etc etc LOL

Unknown said...

i honestly wonder when i would learn to wake up early. well i think its one of the bad habits i adopted from student life

http://chizys-spyware.blogspot.com

Sisi Yemmie said...

ok...lol...i have to admit i was thinking about it todayyyy. I dont have a job yet so i find myself gpoing to bed at 3am and waking up by 12. its not sustenable. I will do my bestestest to follow d tips u offered. First time on ur site...looovin it

Chizzy D said...

@naijamum....have you always been like that?
My plan is similar to yours. Sleep no later than 11pm and wake no later than 8am.And then on the weekends, relax on the time a bit. Being a wive and mother prob forces you to be organized.

@Chizy K....lol...we have similar names..Well i just graduated in Dec.2010 and before that school dictated when i woke up.

Chizzy D said...

@sisi yemmie...well it looks like we are prob. in the same position in life. I just graduated and currently job hunting/deciding what to do next in my life. Sooo many options and at the time kinda none?!

Unknown said...

Totally 100% with you on this one. Although I'm not a morning person - (more of a night owl)- I find that when I wake up early, I'm more focused and get more done.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews